[keycloak-dev] Offline tokens - step 1

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Mon Sep 21 08:27:47 EDT 2015

On 21/09/15 12:28, pslegr wrote:

> On 21.9.2015 12:06, Marek Posolda wrote:
>> I've sent the PR . Right now it works like this:
>>
>> - ClientModel has flag "offlineTokensEnabled" . It's possible to
>> retrieve offline tokens just if flag is enabled
>>
>> - Offline token is classic refresh token with 2 differences. It has type
>> "OFFLINE" when normal refresh token has type "REFRESH" . And for offline
>> token, the expiration value is 0, so it never expires.
> Just an idea.
> Have you ever thought, in terms of expiration, not only
> about refresh vs. never expires
> BUT also about defining the exact time of expiration ?
> for example validity for 1 Month, 1 year, 3 years ... etc.
> This would offer the possibility on the fly generate the so called;
> "offline license tokens", which are
> then used for different lifetime periods.
> IMHO this might extend the usage for Keycloak into the license
> providers field ;)
We have already some support for required action "Terms & Condition" at
the keycloak server level. AFAIK user needs to confirm "Terms &
Conditions" page when he has that required action set on him. You have
also possibility to customize the content of the page.

  I wonder if this required action can be used for time based licences
as well? Like for example you will have possibility to configure that
validity of licence is 1 year, so after 1 year will be required action
added to user automatically and he will need to confirm it again during
login?

The possibility you mentioned is about handling licence agreement at the
client level by the application itself if I understand correctly? So
application will save offline token and the token is valid for 3 years,
so application will display the licence screen when it notifies that
offline token is expired. Am I understand correctly?

IMO extend the current Terms & Conditions action for expiration after
some time looks better to me, as you won't need to do any more coding in
your application. Just set the timeout for Terms&Conditions (or licence
) action at keycloak admin console.

Marek