[keycloak-dev] argon2 password hashing

Roelof Naude roelof.naude at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 09:37:32 EDT 2016

thank you. have made some headway with this.

there is a slight issue though. Providers are cached and thus mostly
stateless.

password policies on the other hand are constructed on-demand and may
contain configuration. this configuration can be different between
various realms, e.g. HashIterations could be 20 for realm1 and 200 for
realm2.

the current provider loading mechanisms caches both the factory and
provider instances.

1. is there a session instance per realm? if so, then there is no issue
2. if not, how do you propose creating policy instances per realm?

PasswordPolicyFactory could expose an extra method, create(String arg),
but the provider loading mechanism will ignore it. one could add
specific knowledge of that method, but that feels wrong.

another option would be to teach KeycloakSession to return a
ProviderFactory instance. PasswordPolicy could call this method to
create PasswordPolicyProvider instances on-demand. this method would
delegate to the underlying KeycloakSessonFactory to lookup the
appropriate factory.

this last option could work. would prefer to clear it with you guys
first though.