[keycloak-dev] Readonly UserModel

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Thu Aug 11 15:12:02 EDT 2016

Ahoy, after exploring some ideas I implemented the initial draft[1] for KEYCLOAK-3060[2]. Before submitting any changes, I would like some feedback.

- Motivation

Disable input fields when read-only federation providers like SSSD or LDAP (read-only mode) are enabled.

Another alternative would be just hide sections which people are not supposed to edit. For example: account, OTP and password section.

To be honest, I'm 50/50 about it, because hiding sections could be confusing to users.

- Pros

* Users won't get frustrated trying to update their profile, to later find out that's not possible.
* Input fields will truly represent what our user is, into other words, read-only

- Cons

* UserModel from my perspective is the only possible place to introduce this change[3] (I can be wrong). The drawback is that the change will affect all the implementing classes.

1. If you are fine with the changes here[1]. I could do some clean up, write the proper integration tests and work to get it merged.

2. Do nothing and leave it as is.

Thoughts?

[1] - https://github.com/abstractj/keycloak/tree/KEYCLOAK-3060
[2] - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-3060