[keycloak-dev] new credential SPI

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 03:23:10 EDT 2016

Few additional things, which applies for credentials like
SPNEGO/Kerberos tokens, however I think they might be required for other
credential types too.

- Authentication of unknown user : For example in case of SPNEGO, you
have just the token, but you don't know which user are you
authenticating. User is "recognized" later once the SPNEGO token is
successfully validated

- More handshakes for credential validation : This is again related to
SPNEGO, but I am sure it applies for some other credential types too.
Instead of true/false we may need something like : SUCCESS, FAILED,
CONTINUE.
Also the possibility to send some context info back to the client, so
client can continue with the handshake. For the old federationProvider
we had:

CredentialValidationOutput validCredentials(RealmModel realm, UserCredentialModel credential);

I guess we need something similar for the new SPI too? Also for
"isValid" method, I would rather return CredentialValidationOutput
instead of just true/false. True/false is good for passwords/OTP, which
are most widely used credential types in Keycloak, but may not be
sufficient for other custom credential types.

Marek