[keycloak-dev] Groups on SSSD Federation provider

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Thu Dec 8 11:14:06 EST 2016

The issue is, that single group can have more links to userStorage, not
just the single one. That's because single group can be mapped to users
from more different userStorages.

Example:
- I have 2 ldap userStorages (eg. ldap1, ldap2).
- I have group "mygroup" in Keycloak.
- I have user "ldap1-user" and I want him to join the group "mygroup" .
The group mapping will be saved in LDAP and the LDAP user will be member
of LDAP group like "cn=mygroup,dc=ldap1,dc=org"
- I have user "ldap2-user" and I want him to join the group "mygroup" .
The group mapping will be saved in LDAP and the LDAP user will be member
of LDAP group like "cn=mygroup,dc=ldap2,dc=org"

Note that I need this same Keycloak group in both my LDAPs. In first
LDAP, the group is represented by DN "cn=mygroup,dc=ldap1,dc=org", but
in second LDAP it is represented by path "cn=mygroup,dc=ldap2,dc=org" .

So the single properties federationLink+federationIdentifier is
definitely not sufficient. At least it will need to be a map of
federationLinks. But then you will need to have something additional in
the admin console UI to display those federationLinks. Considering all
of this, my vote is to rather stick with attributes.

Marek