[keycloak-dev] Database types for primary and foreign keys

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Mon Dec 19 05:34:21 EST 2016

I'm not convinced that the proposed changes would make a significant
difference in performance. We heavily cache things and complicated queries
are usually limited to admin operations. That being said if we can do a POC
to check the performance it may be worth it, especially with large number
of entries (we recently had someone talking about 150 million users!).

As Bill points out is has to be backwards compatible and it has to be
possible to automatically perform the changes to the database. From talking
to Hynek it seems like this may be possible. Since the User Storage SPI is
being supported in RHSSO 7.1 there's also no option for us to make changes
to this, but it doesn't seem like we'd have to.

This is something that is worth considering to investigate more at some
point (first step would be to evaluate the real benefits if any), but when
we can prioritize is another question.