[keycloak-dev] Protecting/encrypting realm keys

Nagaraj,Vikas Vikas.Nagaraj at safenet-inc.com
Mon Feb 8 13:47:28 EST 2016

Hello,

We've been integrating Keycloak into one of our applications, and so far it's been a pretty good experience.  I'm looking now at how realms' signing keys are protected.  Currently Keycloak stores the private key in a database table, but we'd like to explore protecting it with a Hardware Security Module (HSM).

A couple of years ago there was a discussion on this list on this topic (thread starts here: https://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/keycloak-dev/2014-January/001124.html).  One suggestion was to have an EncryptionSpi interface that could be overridden to provide the desired crypto operations; another was to use a master key sourced from somewhere outside the DB to encrypt the private keys stored with the realm.  Has there been any discussion about either of these alternatives since?

I'm happy to help with the implementation, but would appreciate some guidance from more experienced Keycloak devs on the best way to go about it.

Thanks,

--
Vikas Nagaraj
vikas.nagaraj at safenet-inc.com<mailto:vikas.nagaraj at safenet-inc.com>