[keycloak-dev] Script based Authenticators

Thomas Darimont thomas.darimont at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 10 06:19:39 EST 2016

Thanks :)

Sorry for the rather long mail - steps to demo are first, for some
additional thoughts see below.

Is there any chance of having a 1.10.x release line?

if you want to try it out you could apply this patch against a new branch
from current master:

https://github.com/thomasdarimont/keycloak/commit/3f39479e7fa0c75941cd524ba99de5c85db43b62.patch

then just start the org.keycloak.testsuite.KeycloakServer.

In the admin-console you need to do the following:

1) copy the browser authentication flow to "browser script"

2) in the "browser script forms" subflow click on Actions -> Add execution

3) select "Script based authentication" from the list

4) Mark "Script based authentication" as required

5) configure "Script based authentication" via actions -> config

6) as config parameters use

Alias: auth-tracer-script (this is later shown in the auth flow listing)

Script Engine: Nashorn

ScriptName: auth-tracer

Script:

function authenticate(context){

 LOG.info(scriptName + " --> trace auth for: " + user.username);

 context.success();

}

function action(context){

 context.attempted();

}

7) Save the authenticator

8) Goto bindings tab and set the browser flow to "browser script".

9) end.

I usually create a test user to play with this.

I'm keen to get this done since we need to be rather flexible regarding
auth logic.

Btw. the Auth0 rules repository is a great example for what can be done
with this feature:

https://github.com/auth0/rules

Some things to consider:

# Use cases

I think scripting should not only be applied for authenticators but also
for other components like: event listeners, federation-providers, even
custom user action scripts that are performed on login / logout / account /
profile updates also configurable validation scripts would be helpful.

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-1872?jql=project%20%3D%20KEYCLOAK%20AND%20text%20~%20%22forgerock%22

# Implementation

In my naive implementation I just externalized the authenticate(..) and
action(..) method.

I think it might be easier for users to have dedicated scriptable
authenticators (or rather authentication steps? since they only participate
in the authentication but might not decide or authenticate anything...)
e.g. ones that just perform some enrichment of the user model, additional
tracing etc. others could be more complex by conditionally showing forms,
using the providers to send codes (email, sms) etc.

In my POC I exposed a bunch of context variables to the script:

https://github.com/thomasdarimont/keycloak/commit/3f39479e7fa0c75941cd524ba99de5c85db43b62#diff-50db206e6dcd6842014f5be864e6c895R89

One should either be very selective here or just hand in securable wrappers
that would allow to control access from scripts to context objects.

Allowing users to writing / editing scripts in the admin frontend is great
but it would be more helpful if those scripts could be loaded from an
external directory that would allow a proper versioning of the scripts
outside of keycloak.

Having a ScriptingProvider capable of loading / saving scripts and
executing scripts against a provided context would be useful. Within the
scriptable components one would then just refer to a script from a “Script
Repository”.

A script should have metadata like a script name, comment, script source,
perhaps vcs information.

# Security

Offering scripting support of course opens the door to all kind of bad
things - I don’t think that my initial assumption “scripts will probably
only be specified by administrators and executed on the server…” will hold
for long ;-)

Soner or later one probably needs some sort of sandbox concept here - the
Auht0 guys do this:

“For security reasons, the Rules code runs in a JavaScript sandbox based on
webtask.io where you can use the full power of the ECMAScript 5 language.

For a list of currently supported sandbox modules, see: Modules Supported
by the Sandbox.”

# UX for Script Support

I think users needs both syntax highlighting and linenumbers for readable
scripts both are provided by the currently used ace editor (
https://ace.c9.io/#nav=about )- another popular option would have been
codemirror (http://codemirror.net/) but personally I found it easier to
integrate ace.

Within the admin console it should be possible to view a script in
read-only mode - perhaps this should be the default when opening a
component like an authenticator. editing should be enabled via a checkbox
or on/off-switch.

The ace editor support could be used to render a highlighted (read-only)
version of JSON (client install) and XML (SAML) configuration.

We need to find a way to parameterize the ace editor for various other
"script" types to get proper highlighting (used in kc-provider-config.html
-> mode: xxxx) - perhaps” code” would be a more generic type than "script".

It would really help to have some server-side validation being performed on
save of an authenticator (or any other object), validation errors should be
propagated to the frontend and shown near the "culprit".

# Documentation

The user guide should include a section about scripting support in general.

Some examples should show the usage of scripting support, e.g. an
authenticator, an event listener.

Cheers,

Thomas