[keycloak-dev] Need to remove built-in themes from standalone/configuration/themes

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Mon Feb 15 04:08:10 EST 2016

Keeping it as is isn't an option IMO. There's a pretty big chance that we
will need to patch themes. There's several issues with that as it stands:

* Users need to deal with two separate patching mechanisms and we also need
to create tools, patches, documentation separately
* What if users change the built-in themes, rather than extending. We tell
users not to, but if they can they will. If a built-in theme has been
changed patches probably won't work
* EAP supports roll-back of patches, applies patches atomically. It's a
proper tool that helps users to do it right
* EAP supports domain mode

What Stan is proposing might be worth considering. It doesn't solve the
case that users can modify the files though.

I would actual prefer that built-in themes are always loaded from the
module, but we have the templates available in exames/themes/templates.

Another relevant thing is what do we do when users have modified templates.
How can we help them apply the required changes to the custom template?