[keycloak-dev] browser backbutton

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 10:43:02 EST 2016

Seems jboss.org guys don't like that the browser backbutton doesn't
work.   The question is, do we want to rework the auth spi to allow for
backbutton?  I'm not sure its even feasible or not.
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-2325

REFRESH BUTTON
* Refresh button will repost form data to the URL that is contained in
the browser url window.
* In Keycloak 1.6, I added redirects after successful actions.  The
redirect would redirect you off of the last URL.  This helped a lot with
refresh button as form data wasn't posted to old form URLs.
* In Keycloak 1.8 I removed the redirects because jboss.org complained
about the performance of the extra redirects.  To allow refresh button
to work, keycloak would just ignore posts to old form urls and just
display the current state of the flow.

BACK BUTTON
* Adding support for the back button would require Keycloak to unwind
actions that have already been successful.  This probably requires a
callback method on the auth spi to do this.
* Since there are no more redirects, another problem is that keycloak
would not be able to distinguish between a page refresh button and a
backbutton/form resubmit.

Is this something we can put off until 2.0?  I currently don't know how
to solve all three issues with the current design: refresh button, back
button, and performance.