[keycloak-dev] advice on back button

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 17:36:08 EST 2016

The current thinking for browser back button is to set:

Cache-Control: no-store, must-revalidate, max-age=0

There are possible security issues with this that I don't know if we
should do this or not.  Don't know if you remember how ClientSessionCode
works, it uses a hash of the client session id and the action key
currently stored in the.  When you switch from authentication to
required actions, the action key changes.  Now, if you hit the back
button on a required action page, it would take you back to an
authentication screen.  The code check would fail because the action
keys don't match.

Do we actually need this action key stuff?  Can we just let the flow
manager put the browser in the correct state?  So if an "authenticate"
url is hit and the flow is on required actions, just redirect to the
required actions URL.   I just worry that this is some sort of security
hole somehow.  Maybe we're better off just reseting and restarting the
flow entirely.