[keycloak-dev] Support UTF-8 encoding theme message properites

Hiroyuki Wada wadahiro at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 03:49:40 EDT 2016

Thanks for your comment.

> If we want to change to utf-8 we'd still need to support iso.. for backwards compatibility.

If we change to UTF-8, we can still read unicode codepoint like '\u00e8'.
There is an incompatibility when non-ascii characters are used in
message properties.
The non-ascii characters are 0xA0 - 0xFF codes (please refer codepage
layout: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-1#Codepage_layout )

I think the non-ascii characters might be used in French messages like
'à' so I agree to support ISO-8859-1 for backwards compatibility.
To support this, I think we can add a property like "messageEncoding"
in keycloak-server.json as below. Is it a good idea?

    "theme": {
        "staticMaxAge": 2592000,
        "cacheTemplates": true,
        "cacheThemes": true,