[keycloak-dev] Authorization Code Flow as Default for Javascript?

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 03:16:46 EDT 2016

Using authorization code flow with public clients in Keycloak:

* Allows short expiration on access tokens
* Our JavaScript adapter doesn't store the refresh token and it's only kept
in memory for the specific tab
* Refresh tokens are tied to a session which have idle timeout

Access token is set to expire in 5 min by default, but a lot of damage can
still be done in 5 min so it needs to be kept secure. Refresh token is
obviously worse as it, but by default the user session will expire if idle
for 30 min so all refresh tokens will be invalid shortly after the user
leaves the browser.

Google for instance issues an access token with 60 minutes expiration this
is far worse than what we do in Keycloak as the token can't be revoked.
Applications are not required to check with Google if the token is still
valid, so there's a window of 60 minutes where it would be rather hard to
block miss-use. It's actually common for social networks at least to issue
fairly long expiration times (an hour or so) when using the implicit flow.

You could in theory use an embedded iframe to obtain a new access token
once it's expired, but this is relatively tricky to get right as there's
quite a lot of potentially vulnerabilities which is why we by default block
all use of iframes. Any malicious injected code that manages to get the
refresh token from the tab window would also be able to use the embedded
iframe to obtain a new access token.

There is a spec that allows authenticating public clients. I couldn't find
it right now, but probably something worth considering to add.