[keycloak-dev] Client Self-Registration and Administration Plugin

Erik Berdonces Bonelo e.berdoncesbonelo at campus.tu-berlin.de
Mon Jun 6 08:39:08 EDT 2016

Hello,

I’m working at the moment in a Master Thesis project in TU Berlin where we are using Keycloak for Authentication and Authorisation purposes.
We are planning on extending Keycloak in order to provide users a way to register clients/applications by themselves into the platform, while having an admin overseeing the system.

This would mean that as a user, if I have the proper rights I should be able to create and manage my own clients. With, this it comes the idea of ownership, as this would mean that a client ownership could be transferred to someone else.
Also, the admin should be able to accept, revoke and delete the clients and requests to create clients in my Keycloak.

At the moment the only option would be giving the permission to create clients to the user, but that would allow to change ANY of the possible clients.

Then, I have two questions:
  1. Would it make sense to integrate this to the Keycloak core?
  2. If it doesn’t make sense to merge it in the core, is there any plugin system to extend Keycloak’s core? I’ve seen a discussion related to a plugin system in GitHub but there is no outcome yet. We would rather like to integrate it with Keycloak itself, otherwise the other option would be creating a client that uses Keycloak’s REST API to manage the clients remotely.

Thanks a lot in advance!

 —
 Best Regards,
 Erik Berdonces Bonelo