[keycloak-dev] Optional authenticator inside an alternative subflow, how and when is it invoked?

Rashmi Singh singhrasster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:29:40 EDT 2016

>From the keycloak documentation and
https://keycloak.github.io/docs/userguide/keycloak-server/html/auth_spi.html

it is not very clear to me what the OPTIONAL setting for an execution mean.

For example, when we have the following:

Forms Subflow - ALTERNATIVE
           Username/Password Form - REQUIRED
           OTP Password Form - OPTIONAL

When can it enter the Optional OTP form? Do we need to add some code (some
condition ?) in the UsernamePasswordAuthentication Code, so it enters the
optional OTP form authenticator? Or something else? I am not so clear about
the concept of this optional field and how to enter it. Can someone please
explain this in detail?