[keycloak-dev] User Federation Provider Cache

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 04:59:55 EDT 2016

On 16/06/16 16:38, Bill Burke wrote:

>>> This would be an implementation detail.  Similar to JPA Users, the
>>> LDAP UserAdapter will be remembered per session.  The LDAP adapter
>>> could queue up updates then at commit time flush them all.
>>>
>>> Maybe you should consider writing an LDAP version of JPA? ;-)
>>> Probably a lot of code could be borrowed from PL IDM API.
>> I've wrote already something similar for Mongo ;) Also I already
>> addressed the multiple-updates issue for LDAP (see above). However this
>> one is mainly issue for 3rd party providers rather than for LDAP
>> provider. Especially since 3rd party provider may have some validations
>> for some attributes.
>>

>> For example consider this scenario, which can happen in current
>> implementation:
>>
>> UserModel john = session.users().addUser(realm, "john");
>> john.setEmail("john at email.org");
>>
>> All of this happens during "addUser" call:
>>
>> - User "john" is saved to local-db
>> - SomeUserFederationProvider.register calls the registration request to
>> 3rd party federation storage. User "john" is saved in 3rd party storage
>> now.
>>
>> Then john.setEmail is invoked
>> - There is request to 3rd party federation storage to update email.
>> - 3rd party storage refuse to save the email because there is already an
>> existing user with email "john at email.org" . So it sends back the
>> validation error. Now keycloak can rollback the transaction, however
>> user "john" was already registered in 3rd party federation storage from
>> previous "register" call -> FAIL
>>
>> So now you need to manually remove the user from 3rd party storage,
>> which is dirty hack. There are other possible hacks to address this. For
>> example someone "postpone" the registration in "register" method by
>> adding some helper attributes and sends the registration request later
>> when all the attributes are set. I suggest to read the comments in
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-1075 for details.
>>
>> IMO the proper solution is to ensure that "register" request to 3rd
>> party is postponed until the transaction.commit when user is filled with
>> all the attributes. Similarly update should be done just once. IMO we
>> should provide something at SPI level to simplify this scenario.
>>

> We already have a KeycloakTransaction you can register with.
>
>> I understand that main motivation for you is to avoid "imports", however
>> since we are refactoring anyway, we should try to address other SPI
>> limitations too. And IMO this one is pretty bad and worth improve ;)
>
> So, have a method addUser(RealmModel realm, UserEntity user)?
I am thinking about adding some helper classes, so the people don't need
to directly deal with our transaction API and manually enlist
transactions in their code etc.

Also it will be good to have some support for validations (aka. pseudo
2-phase commit), so that all "small" userStores have possibility to
first validate if created/updated user is valid for them and then the
real update is send. This will help to avoid situation like:
- transaction.commit is invoked
- store1 successfully register the user and commits
- store2 rejects to register user because of some validation error (ie.
duplicated email)
- now some data of invalid user already saved in store1 -> FAIL .
Because at this point, whole transaction should be rollback and user
shouldn't be saved anywhere.

I am thinking about pseudo-code similar to this:

public abstract class FederationTransaction implements KeycloakTransaction {

     protected TransactionState state = TransactionState.NOT_STARTED;
     protected final TxUserStore userStore;
     protected final TxUserModel user;

     public FederationTransaction(TxUserStore userStore, TxUserModel user) {
         this.userStore = userStore;
         this.user = user;
     }

     // Implement common stuff like begin, rollback, setRollbackOnly...

}

// This transaction just validates in 3rd party store if user is ok
public class ValidationTransaction extends FederationTransaction {

     public ValidationTransaction(TxUserStore userStore, TxUserModel user) {
         super(userStore, user);
     }

     @Override
     protected void commit() {
         userStore.validateUser(user);
     }

}

// This transaction finally sends commit to 3rd party store
public class CommitTransaction extends FederationTransaction {

     public CommitTransaction(TxUserStore userStore, TxUserModel user) {
         super(userStore, user);
     }

     @Override
     protected void commit() {
         userStore.createOrUpdateUser(user);
     }

}

public abstract class TxUserStore implements UserStore {

     private final KeycloakSession session;

     public TxUserStore(KeycloakSession session) {
         this.session = session;
     }

     public KeycloakSession getSession() {
         return session;
     }

     // Send request to storage to validate user
     protected abstract void validateUser(TxUserModel user) throws
FederationValidationException;

     // Send request to create or update user during transaction.commit
when all stores successfully validated user
     protected abstract void createOrUpdateUser(TxUserModel user);
}

public class TxUserModel extends UserModelDelegate {

     private ValidationTransaction validationTransaction;
     private CommitTransaction commitTransaction;

     private final TxUserStore store;

     public TxUserModel(UserModel delegate, TxUserStore store) {
         super(delegate);
         this.store = store;
     }

     protected void ensureTransactionEnlisted() {
         if (commitTransaction == null) {
             validationTransaction = new ValidationTransaction(store, this);
             commitTransaction = new CommitTransaction(store, this);

             // Ensure all validation transactions are called before
sending real "commit" to any storage
store.getSession().getTransaction().enlistPrepare(validationTransaction);

             // Enlisting real transaction here
store.getSession().getTransaction().enlistAfterCompletion(commitTransaction);
         }
     }

}

Now in your real store implementation, you need to do just this to
ensure that registration of user is postponed to transaction commit:

public UserModel register(UserModel register(RealmModel realm, UserModel
user) {
   MyTxUserModel wrappedUser = new MyTxUserModel(user, this);
   wrappedUser.ensureTransactionEnlisted();
}

And also ensure that transaction is enlisted during any update calls. So
in MyTxUserModel override the needed setter methods like this:

    @Override
    public void setFirstName(String firstName) {
         ensureTransactionEnlisted();
         super.setFirstName(firstName);
     }

     @Override
     public void setLastName(String lastName) {
         ensureTransactionEnlisted();
         super.setLastName(lastName);
     }

With this approach, when you have:
UserModel john = session.users().addUser("john", realm);
john.setFirstName("John");
john.setLastName("Doe");

you have the register call postponed until the transaction.commit .

The thing is, that with postponed registration you won't know the ID of
newly created user at the moment when "addUser" is called. However not
sure if that's big issue... Another approach might be that UserStore
will have possibility to specify if it supports transactions or not.
Then we can have method "rollback" on UserStore, which will be called if
keycloakTransaction.rollback is called.