[keycloak-dev] Reloading KeyCloak on the fly

Mitya mitya at cargosoft.ru
Fri Jun 17 10:41:57 EDT 2016

Hi,

I'm developing a KeyCloak extension which is packaged as two JBoss
modules:
- the extension proper (custom authenticator + custom realm resource +
custom admin theme);
- modified org.keycloak.keycloak-model-jpa (since Entity SPI is not yet
available).

Each time I make changes, I have to go through a roundabout of stopping
KeyCloak, deploying modules and starting KeyCloak again. This can
happen as many as several dozen times a day; as soon as I roll a CI
infrastructure, the build server will have to do the same. Needless to
say, the process is pretty time-consuming; additionally, I'll have to
grant permissions to the build server to restart a system service
(KeyCloak is deployed as systemd unit). I've tried the following in
jboss-cli:

[disconnected /] connect
[standalone at localhost:9990 /] module remove --name=foo.bar.main
[standalone at localhost:9990 /] module add --name=foo.bar.main --
resources=... --dependencies=...
[standalone at localhost:9990 /] reload

This doesn't help, despite WildFly reports to have redeployed and
restarted KeyCloak. The updated modules are simply not picked up.

Am I missing something? KeyCloak developers, what would you recommend
to speed-up the workflow?

Cheers,
Mitya