[keycloak-dev] Feedback

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Mon Jun 20 02:50:26 EDT 2016

On 17/06/16 17:51, Pedro Igor Silva wrote:
> Hey Marek,
>
>     First of all. Thanks for your questions. Answers inline.

Ok, maybe "Resource Scopes" or "Authorization Scopes" is better then?
Another possible thing is, that we should maybe also change the original
meaning of "Scope" under client, which we use for limiting allowed 3rd
party roles in the accessToken. I don't know TBH, maybe adding role
namespaces will clearify this a bit...

>> - Is it possible to merge JSON file representation with the main
>> keycloak RealmRepresentation? Currently to have "photoz" example
>> running, I need to import realm ( photoz-uma-realm.json ) and then
>> separately also another JSON with authorization configuration (
>> photoz-uma-restful-api-authz.json ). If configuration of ResourceServer
>> is moved under particular client of realm, it can be exported during
>> export/import of whole realm and then imported again in single step. We
>> can still support to import just the authorization configuration though,
>> but have it supported when inside global file is good too IMO.
> +1. Can we have that after 2.0.0.CR1 ?
Sure, it's fine to add later IMO.

>> - Should be Time-Based Policy the "first-class-citizen" - one of builtin
>> policies? It seems you can achieve the same with Rule based policies
>> (Javascript or Drools) ? You can simulate some other simpler policies
>> like role-based or attribute-based with rule policies too, however they
>> will be likely much more common usecase.
> IMO, it should be kept as a built-in policy type. We should not rely on rule-based policies for everything.
>
> In fact, the idea is make policy mgmt easier. Ideally, we should have a lot of built-in policy types.
Ok. Just wonder if having many built-in policy types won't make things
more complex rather than easier. Maybe if some newbie will first see the
page with 20 builtin policy types, his first impression might be "Oh,
there are so many policies... This authorization thing looks quite
complex. I will rather hack something directly to my app, instead of
learn all of those..."

But hopefully I am wrong :-)

>> - Java AuthzClient seems to be directly using Apache HttpClient. Is it
>> easier to have it as jax-rs (or resteasy) client similarly like our
>> admin-client? Or you want to avoid another dependency? It seems we
>> currently have 3 clients (admin-client , client-registration , authz),
>> so maybe we can somehow unify them to use similar approach and we can
>> remove some boilerplate code? But this is implementation detail though...
> I was using resteasy client, the reasons for dropping it was:
>
> * adapter-core is using http client
> * more flexibility to support an async API. Useful for reactive apps, MSAD, etc
>
> If you look at the client API, I have added a very simple indirection layer to integrate with a third-party http client library.
>
>> - Is it possible to see the list of available context attributes of
>> javascript (or drools) policy? Also it's maybe possible to simplify
>> names? For example 'kc.authz.context.client.network.ip_address' is quite
>> a long name knowing that this is something, which people will be using
>> in their impl?
> +1
>
> My main requirement regarding the name is that it should represent what is the attribute and its context. Maybe 'kc.authz.context' is redundant ? So we may have 'client.network.ip' ?
>
> I've documented some of these attributes [1]. I think I need to improve the doc to highlight them. Will provide a specific topic and a table with all supported attributes.
Thanks. Maybe "client.network.ip" or "kc.client.ip" (just keep "kc"
prefix for all attributes provided by keycloak) is easier?

Btv. just noticed that 2 links from javascript policy page
https://keycloak.gitbooks.io/authorization-services-guide/content/topics/policy/js-policy.html
to "Evaluation API" are broken.

>> - During the call few months ago, I mentioned the "weight" of
>> authorization decision of aggregation policy. I want to cancel that as
>> it looks you can always achieve the same effect by compose more
>> aggregate policies together, so weight is not needed though. So this is
>> just un-feedback of my previous feedback :)
>>
>> - Is it possible to dynamically create permissions with Permissions API?
>> Looks like just creating resources is possible ATM? For example, I
>> wonder about classic social usecase "I want to share my photoalbum with
>> user X" . Or "I want to share my photoalbum with group of users Y
>> (Google+ circles)" . I guess UMA specs might have some support for this?
> +1
>
> UMA does not provide an API for that. That Permission API is for permission tickets only (UMA thing).
>
> At the beginning, I have published the policy endpoint for remote access and an "Allow Remote Policy Management" button on the "Authorization Settings" page. I have removed it to think about this stuff with a little more love. We can do something really awesome with that.
>
> I'm glad that you found it useful too, I hope to start a separated discussion to understand better your ideas around this topic.
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-3135
Ok, I will add comments to JIRA

Marek