[keycloak-dev] Thinking about a change to providers

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 09:33:39 EDT 2016

On 23/06/16 14:28, Stian Thorgersen wrote:

> On 23 June 2016 at 14:19, Marek Posolda <mposolda at redhat.com
> <mailto:mposolda at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     +1 on having "invalidateProvider" method.
>
>     For the other stuff,  we already have the first 2 "getProvider"
>     methods, so the new stuff will be the methods with "String
>     instanceId" parameter, right?
>

> Yes, I just included the two existing methods to point out that they
> will still be there.
>

>     We already discuss adding the "String instanceId" . Now when
>     thinking more, it looks that it is not so convenient.
>
>     When adding again UserFederation SPI as an example:
>
>     - UserFederationProviderFactory needs UserFederationProviderModel
>     to create instance of UserFederationProvider
>     - So factory needs to lookup model from cache/db. Hence the
>     instanceId would need to be compound of something like:
>     <REALM-UUID>::<USER-FEDERATION-PROVIDER-MODEL-ID>
>     That's because to lookup UserFederationProviderModel, you first
>     need RealmModel and then find the UserFederationProviderModel by
>     it's ID within the realm.
>
>     You may admit that RealmModel is available on KeycloakContext.
>     However I don't think that we can rely on it. KeycloakContext is
>     available in REST requests, but in some other cases (ie.
>     ExportImport, periodic tasks etc), it's not available. Caller
>     usually have the RealmModel and he can manually set it to
>     KeycloakContext before calling session.getProvider, however that
>     doesn't look like good approach to me and should be rather
>     avoided. So in shortcut, we shouldn't rely on realm being
>     available in KeycloakContext IMO.
>

> Going forward we should rely on the realm being available in
> KeycloakContext IMO. The whole purpose of it is so we don't have to
> pass details around all the time, including the realm.
>
> I see two options to it:
>
> * Don't require the realm to load provider config. If instances ids
> are UUIDs this would work, but I don't think they always are right?
Even if they are just UUID, we will require to refactor model and have
all the models lookup methods (e.g. "getUserFederationPRoviderModel",
"getIdentityProviderModel" ) available globally on RealmProvider rather
than on RealmModel. Not sure if it's very good, especially since in
admin console, you create providers per particular realm.
> * Add RealmModel to the lookup, so it becomes:
>   getProvider(Class<T> clazz, String providerId, RealModel realm,
> String instanceId)
>   That would also require a invalidateProviders(RealmModel realm) that
> can clear all provider instances for a specific realm
Not sure adding RealmModel is sufficient... Some providers might not be
scoped per-realm but rather per-client though. For example recently
added authz based ResourceServer is scoped per client, so I can imagine
it can be valid use-case to have providers scoped per-client as well.

>     The logic for parse the "instanceId" and retrieve
>     UserFederationProviderModel from DB would be boilerplate code same
>     to all UserFederationProviderFactory impls.
>

>     With that in mind, it really seems to me that instead of "String
>     instanceId", it may work better to have some common configuration
>     class like "ProviderModel" . Then signature will look like:
>
>     * getProvider(Class<T> clazz, String providerId, ProviderModel  model)
>
>     All the model subclasses (UserFederationProviderModel,
>     IdentityProviderModel, PasswordPolicyModel ...) will be subclasses
>     of ProviderModel
>

> I don't like that at all as it requires loading and retrieving the
> model to be able to get the instance. It should be the responsibility
> of the factory and provider framework to be able to do that, not the
> code that wants to use the provider.
Well, I don't see that as an issue, but rather an advantage. It's better
if model is loaded by caller rather than an implementation. So the
custom UserFederationProviderFactory (or IdentityProviderFactory)
implemented by customers don't need to contain same code for lookup the
model based on instanceId String.

Marek