[keycloak-dev] User Federation Provider Cache

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 04:06:24 EDT 2016

On 24 June 2016 at 06:34, Marek Posolda <mposolda at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 23/06/16 16:31, Bill Burke wrote:
>
>> First on pagination.  I was thinking about this a bit.  Do we really
>> think that admins are going to paginate through 1000s of users?  Or will it
>> be more like a couple of hundred at most?  Right now I've implemented
>> something that is pretty inefficient to keep it backward compatible right
>> now.  Basically I iterate all providers from the beginning until the page
>> desired is identified and filled up.  Minimally it is a stop gap until I
>> get everything working.
>>
>> The API will need to change if we want pagination to work efficiently.
>> Invokers on the API will need to keep an index as we need to know the last
>> provider queried and what was the index for the last entry read. As a
>> result, the REST API would have to change too.
>>
> +1 to change the REST API. The admin console already works in a way that
> there are arrows for the "next" page and "previous" page right? So if we
> don't have support for "Go directly for users from 1500 to 1600" it won't
> be a big headache though...

Actually our tables don't follow PatternFly and we need to update them to
make it consistent. Take a look at:

https://www.patternfly.org/pattern-library/widgets/#data-tables

It displays total number of items, has previous/next, jump to start/end as
well as ability to enter a specific page.

We could either support pagination properly or we have a maximum items that
are fetched. If the latter we'd display a message retrieving N users out of
X users or something to indicate that all users are not loaded. However,
that's just a poor attempt at pagination isn't it?

> It will be also good for LDAP as some LDAP servers have support for
> pagination extension. This is based on the functionality, that you can send
> pagination query to return first 10 users and LDAP will return you a
> "cookie" for going to next page. So just browsing between "next" page and
> "previous" page is easily possible. The most important LDAP vendors like
> MSAD and RHDS have the support for this.

IMO we should support pagination when possible, but a provider should have
the option to not support pagination.