[keycloak-dev] PAM integration with FreeIPA

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Fri Jun 24 09:07:43 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-23, Bill Burke wrote:

> On 6/23/16 2:56 PM, Bruno Oliveira wrote:

> > > Ok, I've spent maybe 20 seconds googling into what PAM conversations are
> > > "PAM example conversation code".   You'll have to explain to me why PAM
> > > conversations have any relevance to web login.  Just looking at this
> > > example:
> > >
> > > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pam/pam-sample-conv.html
> > >
> > > It looks as if PAM conversations are targeted to simple text logins
> > > (i.e. SSH, telnet, etc.).  Pushing and pulling text to and from stdin
> > > and stdout.  What does that have to do with web login?
> >
> > Your question is totally fair. And the reason why we have to integrate
> > with PAM is pretty much because there's no DBus interface for SSSD
> > to provide username/password. Otherwise we would just communicate
> > directly with DBus and call it a day.
> >

> This is solely to allow keycloak to update passwords?  Not really
> understanding here.

Not really Bill, to give you more context. Login through PAM is just one
of the scenarios described by Dmitri at slide #19[1].

* User starts browser and connects to a resource
* Resource redirects to Keycloak
* User is presented with a login form
* User fills username and password
* User data is collected and passed to SSSD over D-Bus

Here, we can't provide username/password to SSSD, because we don't have
a DBus interface for it. So instead, we make use of PAM to make it happen.

* SSSD authenticates against AD
* Authentication complete (against FreeIPA)

This is where I need some help to define what would be the best next
step for us.

* Assertion/token is issued
* User is redirected to the resource

In this scenario nothing is stored/updated on Keycloak.

> > The goal is pretty much to be used for Basic Authentication.
> >

> > > As for PAM itself, it looks like it is a library.  (again a 20 second
> >
> > It's pretty much a low level authentication module to support multiple
> > schemes like: login, ftp, ssh, telnet...(you certainly found it already)
> >
> > > Google search).  What I don't know is where PAM ends and SSSD takes
> > > over.  So its hard to give you advice.
> >
> > This is how it happens from my understanding:
> >
> > 1. We start the PAM conversation from our client application (a IPA client machine),
> > pam_sss is contacted (SSSD)
> > 2. SSSD's PAM responder receives the authentication request and forwards
> > it to FreeIPA server
> > 3. FreeIPA server process the request and returns the result back to PAM
> > responder.
> >
> > The data flow is better described here (https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/InternalsDocs#a3.2.2.2.DataFlowPAMResponder).
> >

> It looks like a conversation requires some sort of session object or session
> connection.  Remember, a web login can span multiple requests and could
> possibly be serviced on different machines.  Sounds like any integration
> with PAM is going to be quite limited.  Maybe that's what you are getting
> at?

I fully understand that, certainly something that requires more testing
to see how SSSD will behave with PAM.

> Or are you just talking about writing a client adapter and this has nothing
> to do with the Keycloak auth server?

Good question. My initial naive idea was to have an authenticator SPI
for PAM and benefit from the work already done by Marek with LDAP and
Kerberos. Plus, have a federation SPI to retrieve user's data from SSSD
and propagate it to Keycloak.

> Also, where does the identity data come into play (aka LDAP info)?  Is this
> also a part of the PAM/SSSD flow?

At the flow described here#17[2]:

* User starts browser and connects to a resource
* Resource redirects to Keycloak
* User is presented with a login form
* User fills username and password
* User data is collected and passed to SSSD over D-Bus
* SSSD authenticates against LDAP server
* Authentication complete

[1] - https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1-WvQTQ1M0Q9kfRl3d7FVWFn9GLL7vn8sAQmXGv0SVcs/edit#slide=id.g113bf6b186_1_130
[2] - https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1-WvQTQ1M0Q9kfRl3d7FVWFn9GLL7vn8sAQmXGv0SVcs/edit#slide=id.g113bf6b186_1_107
--