[keycloak-dev] Realm templates

Thomas Raehalme thomas.raehalme at aitiofinland.com
Wed May 18 05:14:37 EDT 2016

Hi!

I searched Jira and the mailing lists if realm templates have been
discussed before, but didn't find anything. Apologies if I missed an
already existing thread.

What would you think of adding support for realm templates?

The idea would be similar to client templates. One could define common
properties in a realm template and create concrete realms based on the
template. Whenever any of the common properties need to be changed, it
would only be necessary to make the changes on the template instead of
changing individual realms separately. Changes to the template would
propagate to realms automatically.

I would like to see at least realm settings and roles being defined on the
template. Maybe also clients and groups. Identity providers would also be
useful. Keys, certificates, users and various credentials would naturally
be specific to each realm.

If possible it would be great if one could choose to override the settings
in the template so that the template would only define default values. But
if it complicates the implementation too much I'm sure the feature is just
as useful without this possibility.

I think this would make the life of SaaS application developers with realm
per tenant much easier as you would not need to write custom tools to
automate change propagation to realms.

Could this be something for 2.0?

Best regards,
Thomas