[keycloak-dev] Rate Limiting Logins

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Mon Sep 5 02:42:20 EDT 2016

The brute force protection is there only to prevent guessing the password
through a brute force attack. It's not there to stop DOS attacks. We don't
have any rate limiting at the moment and I believe that's something that
would be better introduced with a firewall / intrusion detection system.

It's non-trivial to add, especially with the fact that a single client that
invokes the direct grant login could have thousands of legitimate users. I
don't think a simple implementation would be much value and not replace a
full fledged firewall.

What did you have in mind with regards to requirements? Ability to
configure max number of requests per-client? Per-user?

For the OOM the events endpoints supports pagination as well as date ranges
which should prevent and OOM issue when querying it.