[keycloak-dev] Rate Limiting Logins

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Wed Sep 7 08:30:17 EDT 2016

Problem is that it would only cover one very specific issue, while still
being a relatively big thing to implement and test. There's clustering to
consider as all nodes would need to share the knowledge about number of
attempts. Also, the feature itself could end up being a DoS/OOM issue. If
there's 100 clients and 100k users that's potentially 10 million entries.

In summary trying to add this level of protection directly to Keycloak
would be very costly and most likely would never be on par with a decent
firewall.