[keycloak-dev] LDAP setup for demonstration purposes

Bruno Oliveira da Silva bruno at abstractj.org
Tue Sep 13 15:10:28 EDT 2016

My 2 cents on it. Unless we have any strong argument for doing this,
let's move forward with Docker. We already have a repository for this
and I'm not sure if we have bandwidth to maintain 2 distinct repositories.

Btw I'm curious, which real world scenario you could not reproduce with
Docker?

On 2016-09-13, Thomas Raehalme wrote:
> How about setting up multiple VMs with Vagrant but handling all software
> components with Docker?
>
> Best of both worlds and also a simulation of the real world (which could
> perhaps be used as a reference).
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas
>
> On Sep 13, 2016 5:46 PM, "Scott Rossillo" <srossillo at smartling.com> wrote:
>
> > Vagrant leaves funny taste in my mouth. Docker Compose to orchestrate
> > things seems like a better option.
> >
> > Scott Rossillo
> > Smartling | Senior Software Engineer
> > srossillo at smartling.com
> >
> > On Sep 13, 2016, at 10:39 AM, Bruno Oliveira da Silva <bruno at abstractj.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > My question is: Docker or Vagrant?
> >
> > If we have plans to showcase SSSD Federation provider + things like
> > start/stop sssd service to demonstrate the SSSD provider won't be
> > enabled. I would say that Vagrant is easier and we can benefit from
> > these boxes[1], otherwise we just stick with Marek's work.
> >
> > I will give DBus on Docker a second try, but last time I checked wasn't
> > fun.
> >
> > [1] - https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa-workshop
> >
> > On 2016-09-13, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
> >
> > Forgot to add two things:
> >
> > * DNS setup - we want proper DNS setup on the machines, which would be
> > required for the Kerberos stuff to work properly
> > * HTTPS - optional, but would be great if it also had HTTPS configured
> >
> > On 13 September 2016 at 09:24, Marek Posolda <mposolda at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Few more things and tips (you may be already aware of them, but still..
> > Hope some of them are useful :) :
> >
> > - My docker image [1] already contains FreeIPA server and Keycloak server
> > pre-configured with LDAP+Kerberos federation provider to use it. Thing is
> > that both Keycloak+FreeIPA are on same machine, which is likely not the
> > best for show production setup. The workstation setup needs to be done on
> > your local machine (so you need KErberos client + Firefox setup on your
> > laptop. That's sufficient for testing, but probably also not ideal for
> > showcase).
> >
> > - In addition to FreeIPA docker images for server, FreeIPA has also docker
> > image for client setup. See for example [2] . I am not 100% sure, but I
> > believe that if you run this docker image and point to the already running
> > "server" image, you will gain also all the things like PAM setup, login to
> > the workstation with Kerberos credentials, and automatically retrieved
> > kerberos ticket during login. Hence you just login to workstation, open
> > firefox and you are authenticated to Keycloak. No need to manually run
> > "kinit".
> >

> > The workstation will need to be a virtual machine rather than container to
> > add X support. So IMO we should just use Vagrant and have FreeIPA and
> > use Vagrantfile to install Fedora + FreeIPA.

> [...]

abstractj
PGP: 0x84DC9914