[keycloak-dev] token exchange

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Tue Aug 15 02:50:27 EDT 2017

First of all I'm not arguing against token exchange service. It's a very
useful thing IMO and I can see loads of use-cases for it. I'm just
wondering about how usable it will be for the CLI tool and I'm worried
about how complicated it would be to setup. If the ID token was signed that
could serve as a the "identity cookie" for a CLI SSO session (if ID token
is not suitable we could introduce some sort of identity token that can be
used by direct grant to allow SSO sessions). Using direct grant you can
then easily obtain a token for a specific client by just passing a valid
"identity cookie" same way as the web browser does. Is that not simpler to
setup and use?