[keycloak-dev] Remove realm json at "/auth/realms/<realm name>"

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Thu Aug 17 00:48:08 EDT 2017

On 16 August 2017 at 12:12, John D. Ament <john.d.ament at gmail.com> wrote:

> KEYCLOAK-5279 isn't asking to split it out.  We're dealing with the access
> at a network level, making it so that certain URIs aren't accessible.  But
> the ability to hide the fact that it may need to exist is important.
>
> I think the more relevant ticket is KEYCLOAK-5277, where at least in a
> multitenant fashion the fact that a realm may exist is considered sensitive
> information.  The fact that there's a public API that returns 200/404 if a
> realm exists is considered a problem, so having it removed would alleviate
> any concerns in that area.

Firstly, I disagree that exposing if a realm name is a valid realm or not
is not a particular big risk. Folks can find valid realm names just by
logging in to your apps.

Secondly, there's no way to stop someone from being able to detect if a
realm name is valid or not. Pretty much every endpoint the server has can
tell you that. I assume you're not seriously expecting us to provide some
sort of fake realm where there is none?