[keycloak-dev] Do we care about reproducible builds?

Stan Silvert ssilvert at redhat.com
Thu Jul 20 08:57:58 EDT 2017

So to be more clear, a reproducible build means that once we release a
version of Keycloak we can rebuild and reproduce the exact bits at any time.

To do this perfectly, we must pull in the exact versions of every js
library we ship.

So the question is, for community builds, should we maintain our own
archived version of these libraries or can we pull from the public npm repo?

In the public npm repo, library publishers are allowed to modify their
bits for 24 hours after publishing.  They may also republish at a later
time via special request, though this is highly discouraged.

So if we don't archive js libraries with each release it is possible,
though unlikely, that we could end up with a non-reproducible build.

That's why I ask how much we really care about reproducibility in community.