[keycloak-dev] Blacklist Password Policy

Thomas Darimont thomas.darimont at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 29 04:06:42 EDT 2017

Okay cool.

Instead of storing the password blacklist in the database I could instead
just refer to a password
blacklist that lives on the file system.

So Keycloak could ship with some of the lists from [0] and refer to those
with a name like "default-blacklist1000", "default-blacklist-100000"
in the BlacklistPasswordPolicy
config
within the admin-console.

The "default-blacklist-100000" blacklist would then be mapped and resolve
something like
"META-INF/password-blacklist/10_million_password_list_top_100000.txt".

Users could provide their own blacklists with the provider config stored in
standalone.xml
than could then be adjusted via jboss-cli.

I think this filesystem based approach is better than having to load and
store big text-blobs in the database.

Cheers,
Thomas

[0] https://github.com/danielmiessler/SecLists/tree/master/Passwords
Using those password lists seems to be allowed according to their license:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Projects/OWASP_SecLists_Project
which is Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 License
-> IANAL but it seems to be useable in commercial products as well
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
as long as the authors are mentioned.