[keycloak-dev] Improve back-button and refreshes in authenticators?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Mar 21 09:13:51 EDT 2017

> On 20 March 2017 at 18:04, Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com
> <mailto:bburke at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 3/20/17 3:54 AM, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
>>     Let's go with the "page expired" page then,
>     The current behavior is "sticky" in that any back button or page
>     refresh just renders the current Authenticator in the flow.  What
>     sucks with that is that you have to have a cancel button on each
>     page in order to restart the flow.
>

>>     but we wouldn't need it for the refresh page would we? That can
>>     just re-display the same thing again.
>>

>     Depends on the implementation of flow processing.  This was what I
>     was trying to explain before.
>
>     Remember that refresh re-executes the request to original URL.  IF
>     you set cache control headers, back button will also re-execute
>     the request.   With current impl, code is in the URL, so with a
>     refresh or back button re-execution the runtime knows the request
>     is a bad one, so it just finds your current place in the flow and
>     re-renders it.  Without a any code in the URL, the runtime would
>     not know whether your POST was an old POST triggered by a browser
>     button, or if you were posting to the correct and current
>     Authenticator.
>

> So we have to have something in the URL that's clear to me now. We
> should just add a step number or something rather than the code we
> have now (the codes are expensive to create).

To detect refresh button, you'd need to know the previous action too I
think.

We have two things right now:

* code - this corresponds to the client session code
* execution-code - this is the Authenticator's component id.  This is
only in the URL if you are executing an action on the Authenticator,
i.e. posting username/password.

I think we should keep generating the code + hash, but only do it when
the login state transitions, i.e. from
authentication->required-actions->code to token->logged in ...AND...make
sure that code != code-to-token code :).  We should also make sure that
you cannot go backwards in a flow. i.e., once Authentication is
successful, you can't go back to the Authentication state.  Once
code-to-token happens, you can go back to required actions, etc.

Just to be safe, we could store the flow code both in a cookie and in
the url which would guard against CSRF attacks, although I don't know if
it would be possible to do a CSRF attack in an authentication flow or
what it would buy the attacker.

>>     +1 I kinda thought about writing authenticators, but you're right
>>     that should be made as simple as possible and we should ideally
>>     handle all of this outside the authenticators themselves.
>>     Something that would be impossible if users could step
>>     backwards/forwards in the flow as you'd have to have "roll back"
>>     events or something so authenticators could undo stuff if needed.
>     You could have a stack and push and pop on it as you went forwards
>     and backwards.
>

> That would only work if there are no changes outside authentication
> session, but we already have things like required actions that change
> the user directly. We would also need some option on authenticators
> and required actions whether or not they can be replayed or something
> like that. Sounds complicated...

Yeah, I don't want to implement it.  I just worry we'd get something
wrong and create a security hole.

Bill