[keycloak-dev] Authentication sessions prototype

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Mon Mar 27 07:02:44 EDT 2017

We started on the work for cross-dc support. One of the initial steps
for this is to improve current "sessions" cache to avoid unnecessary
communication between data-centers.

Currently ClientSessionModel is created at the start of the
authentication and every step in the authentication flow means some
writes to the ClientSessionModel. So the idea is, to create separate
provider and separate "Authentication session", which will be used just
during the authentication time. The advantage is, that authentication
usually doesn't take lots of times and can be tracked with browser
sticky session. So typical deployment will be able to rely on sticky
sessions and won't need the authentication sessions to be replicated
across different data centers.

I have some prototype already working in the branch [1]

What I did so far is:
- Created separate provider AuthenticationSessionProvider and separate
AuthenticationSessionModel

- During start of authentication (at the time of request from OIDC or
SAML application is sent to Keycloak), the AuthenticationSession is
created instead of old ClientSession. For now, there is cookie with the
authentication-session-id created. This one is used for track sticky
sessions

- AuthenticationSession is used for the time of authentication,
requiredActions and consents. The UserSession is now created after the
consent is confirmed (before redirecting to OIDC/SAML application). Some
minor changes were needed in the authentication SPI, requiredActions
SPI, forms SPI to use AuthenticationSession instead of ClientSession and
to not use UserSession.

- For now, UserSession still tracks the list of clientSessions of the
authenticated clients. But those authenticated client-sessions are now
saved just as an attachment of userSession entity, so there is just
single infinispan entity for userSession and not additional entities for
clientSessions.

This is just another step. Hopefully we will be able to get rid of
"clientSession" at all and keep just list of the client IDs in the user
session. This would require some additional refactoring as we currently
have some data in clientSession, which are used during refresh and
during logout. But this will be done later though (eg. ensure that roles
and protocolMappers will be available in refreshToken. Maybe support for
OIDC logout on adapters side similar to what we have for SAML  as
currently we track the HttpSession ID as the note in clientSession and
this one is needed to logout HttpSession on the adapter side etc)

- There are some improvements done around back / forward / refresh
button. We discussed this in another thread. For now, the aim is to
never display the Keycloak page with "We're sorry. An error occurred and
please login through your application" but rather display the more
friendly "Page is expired" with the links to the start of
authenticationFlow and/or with go to last step. Anything more tricky
functionality (track history with real "rollback" of some authentication
/ requiredAction / registration actions etc) is beyond the scope of
this, so I am likely not going to do anything related to it.

- I have the most important flows working (login, registration, required
actions, consents, reset password). There are still many TODOs and
non-working flows (eg. brokering) and also many failing tests. But
hopefully in 1-2 weeks I will be able to have this more stable and send
PR for it.

- In the branch, I have also cherry-picked some initial work by Hynek on
"action tokens". This is used in reset password flow. I think that Hynek
will send separate email around this later with more details.

[1] https://github.com/mposolda/keycloak/tree/cross-dc2