[keycloak-dev] Merging node_modules into Keycloak repo

Stan Silvert ssilvert at redhat.com
Thu May 11 18:22:28 EDT 2017

On 5/11/2017 4:06 PM, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> Some answers inline.
More comments inline...

> On 2017-05-11, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
>> Oh and also I like to just run stuff from the IDE. I very rarely build
>> Keycloak from mvn unless I'm mocking about with the distribution parts.
> To run stuff from your IDE, you just run npm install inside the project.
> You don't need Maven for it.
>
>> On 11 May 2017 at 19:17, Stian Thorgersen <sthorger at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have 3 concerns around not checking in node_modules. If these are
>>> addressed I'm happy:
>>>
>>> * Productization - I believe not checking in the modules will mean they
>>> have to be available in some internal NPM repository or something. Those
>>> module not already available we'll have to add ourselves. Stan you would
>>> have to figure this out as we no longer have a dedicated prod team (that's
>>> us now!)
> Yep, I know. One of the reasons why run diff at each upgrade of these
> dependencies will sound like hell.
I don't know the answer to the productization question.  SOMEBODY in
MiddleWare
must have dealt with this before.  Who can I ask?

>>> * Build time - just the basic Angular2 example adds overhead
> I won't take the road of Java vs Node.js. But pretty much you have the
> same issue with Maven, when you don't have dependencies installed.
> One way or another you have to download it from the internet.
With Maven, you only have to download once.  But with node_modules not
checked in
you will have to download every time after you do a clean.  Or is there
some way around that?

npm doesn't seem to have the same concept of a local repo like Maven.
Installing globally doesn't fix
the problem.  Or is there a solution I don't know about?

>>> * Offline mode - the Angular2 example at the moment can't be built when
>>> not online. It will sit around for a loooong time until it eventually times
>>> out. NPM modules would have to be checked in somewhere globally (not just
>>> inside target dir or something like that). Maybe they can just be placed
>>> inside the .m2 dir or something?!
> Isn't the same when you are disconnected and you try to run Maven?
No.   You can rely on the local Maven repo.  Works great disconnected.