[keycloak-dev] Merging node_modules into Keycloak repo

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Fri May 12 04:25:36 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-11, Stan Silvert wrote:
> On 5/11/2017 4:06 PM, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> > Some answers inline.
> More comments inline...
> >
> > On 2017-05-11, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
> > > Oh and also I like to just run stuff from the IDE. I very rarely build
> > > Keycloak from mvn unless I'm mocking about with the distribution parts.
> > To run stuff from your IDE, you just run npm install inside the project.
> > You don't need Maven for it.

> > Yep, I know. One of the reasons why run diff at each upgrade of these
> > dependencies will sound like hell.
> I don't know the answer to the productization question.  SOMEBODY in
> MiddleWare
> must have dealt with this before.  Who can I ask?

I just asked Node team on it. Will share the answer as soon as I hear
something back.

> > I won't take the road of Java vs Node.js. But pretty much you have the
> > same issue with Maven, when you don't have dependencies installed.
> > One way or another you have to download it from the internet.
> With Maven, you only have to download once.  But with node_modules not
> checked in
> you will have to download every time after you do a clean.  Or is there some
> way around that?

You have to download once, per project.

> npm doesn't seem to have the same concept of a local repo like Maven.
> Installing globally doesn't fix
> the problem.  Or is there a solution I don't know about?

The local repo lives inside the project. But no, there's no concept of
global module for project dependencies and as the author states,
that never gonna happen with npm (https://github.com/npm/npm/issues/2949#issuecomment-11408461).

> > Isn't the same when you are disconnected and you try to run Maven?
> No.   You can rely on the local Maven repo.  Works great disconnected.

If you never downloaded any dependency, I doubt it ;)

--

abstractj