[keycloak-dev] Slight refactoring of InfinispanUserSessionProvider

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Wed May 17 05:47:58 EDT 2017

On 16/05/17 17:04, Schuster Sebastian (INST/ESY1) wrote:
> Hi Marek,
>
> comment inline...

Just a note that we can be always consistent in "simple" cluster. The
eventual inconsistency can happen just in the cross-datacenter
environment. Doing everything synchronously can be a big challenge for
the performance though as the network connection between data-centers
can be slow and blocking user requests until the message is transferred
to the other DC will be performance blocker.

>> Important is, that there won't be lost update (which can easily happen now).
>>
>> There are various corner cases (eg. DC will receive the message about update of
>> userSession, which was already logged-out/removed in this DC etc), but all of
>> those can be handled IMO.
> To be honest, I am a bit afraid of them. Concurrency related corner cases are like the end
> boss and really hard to get right, typically. :)
It won't be so easy, but it's doable. Hopefully :) For example when you
receive the message for update the session, which was already removed
locally, then you just ignore the message. Or updating
"lastSessionRefresh" to the earlier time then the current value of
session will be ignored too. etc.

Marek