[keycloak-dev] wildfly pkg manager changes everything

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 17:53:50 EDT 2018

Had a long talk with Jason Greene today and one of the things that
came up was the Wildfly Package Manager that is being developed.

You'll be able to pull in the exact subsystems, modules, you want,
even  as fine grain as saying "I don't want EJB remoting".  You'll be
able to update,  at will,  all or parts of the install.  This
completely changes patch management for all of us.  You'll be able to
easily create and extend distros and service packs.  Service packs
that depend on service packs.  A lot of interesting combinations. They
are also looking into various ways to organize an image hierarchy so
even how we build images for keycloak may change.  It is all maven
artifact based, which means that a service pack definitions,
distributions, images, installations are measured in kilobytes rather
than hundreds of megabytes as these definitions point into maven
repos.  Its not limited to Java either and will be able to really
package manage anything...cross platform as its written in Java.

This brings a smile to my face as we can ditch this whole monolithic
distribution approach we currently have with bare metal and
docker/openshift.  Keycloak, IMO, has always been more of an
integration platform than a black box appliance and this will be a big
boon to developers that want to optimize their distribution, memory
consumption, image size, etc.
Red Hat