[keycloak-dev] Application and server in separate networks

Niels Bertram nielsbne at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 03:15:54 EDT 2018

Hi Christian,

can't say for sure but the server side adapters always use standard
authorization flow, which requires your Java app to connect via a back
channel to (A) exchange code grant for access tokens and (B) to lookup jwks
for token validation.

The OpenID Connect specification does provide a pure browser based flow
called implicit flow
<http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html#ImplicitFlowAuth> but
that one has a few drawbacks such as auth tokens delivered in the redirect
URL and no refresh token capability. Using this flow could solve your
problem (A) to shift login flow to the frontend but still poses the
challenge for (B) validating the tokens at the backend.

I could not find a way to configure the Java adapter to work in pure
offline validation mode. We had a similar requirement some time ago and had
to code our own auth module to validate incoming tokens with a
pre-configured public key. The other common problem we ran into is wanting
to validate tokens from different (including non-keycloak) issuers on the
same backend. The Keycloak Java adapters do not support this use case
either. We originally looked at the Spring JWT adapter
<https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-security-oauth/tree/master/spring-security-jwt>
as an alternative but this project is not properly patched and
configuration is a wonderful garden of mystery like everything in Spring.

Very curious though to see what others are doing.

Cheers,
Niels