[keycloak-dev] NPE in keycloak logs in MetricsEventListener

Peter Braun pbraun at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 13:28:56 EST 2018

Hi David, Hi Jose,

we’ve also seen this today when debugging Keycloak with Jose. Looks like we need to add null checks to https://github.com/aerogear/keycloak-metrics-spi/blob/mobile-metrics/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/keycloak/metrics/PrometheusExporter.java#L97 <https://github.com/aerogear/keycloak-metrics-spi/blob/mobile-metrics/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/keycloak/metrics/PrometheusExporter.java#L97> and https://github.com/aerogear/keycloak-metrics-spi/blob/mobile-metrics/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/keycloak/metrics/PrometheusExporter.java#L107 <https://github.com/aerogear/keycloak-metrics-spi/blob/mobile-metrics/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/keycloak/metrics/PrometheusExporter.java#L107>

Jose found another issue: For the metrics to work we need to add the metrics-listener to every Realm we are interested in (metrics wise). That happens automatically for the Project realm. But if the user creates a new Realm in Keycloak or through a custom config file then this listener is not added. To enable metrics the user would have to add the listener manually in the Keycloak Admin Panel.

@David: do you think this is an issue? It means additional config steps for custom Realms that need to be documented.

I think it’s possible to add the metrics-listener to every realm automatically by configuring it in standalone.xml: http://www.keycloak.org/docs/3.3/server_installation/topics/config-subsystem/configure-spi-providers.html <http://www.keycloak.org/docs/3.3/server_installation/topics/config-subsystem/configure-spi-providers.html>

Especially by running a CLI command to add a SPI to the config: http://www.keycloak.org/docs/3.3/server_installation/topics/config-subsystem/cli-recipes.html <http://www.keycloak.org/docs/3.3/server_installation/topics/config-subsystem/cli-recipes.html>

Will look into this with Jose.

Regards,
Peter