[keycloak-dev] per-client authentication flows

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Wed Jan 17 14:37:12 EST 2018

TLDR;  Per client authentication flows?  Client can be configured to
override realm authentication flows.

Background:

I'm specing out how we will replace OSIN (openshift oauth server) with
Keycloak.  One issue is that each oauth client in OSIN can specify the
authentication flow they want.  Non-browser clients like the 'oc' cmd
line tool want a 401, challenge-based protocol...Web console,
obviously wants HTML.  They All OSIN clients use the OAuth
auth-code-grant irregardless if they are non-brwoser or browser
clients.  Keycloak assumes this oauth grant type is browser based and
expects non-browser clients to use Resource Credentials grant or
client credential grant.  OSIN does not support this and we (keycloak)
have to be backward compatible.

Solution:

I think it would be pretty simple to add the ability to override
authentication flows per client.  I don't think this would be a
one-off for OSIN as we could use it to implement other non-browser
input protocols.  For example, I wanted to be able to have a
text-based auth flow for command line logins.  I think this could be a
way to implement that.
Red Hat