[keycloak-dev] per-client authentication flows

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Fri Jan 19 09:25:34 EST 2018

On 19/01/18 14:21, Bill Burke wrote:
> That's "step-up" authentication right?  Or is acr something different.
> Yeah, I think per-client flow could be an alternative way to implement
> it.  Don't know if its a better way, but it is an alternative.
Yes, it is about step-up authentication. I hope this can indirectly help
with per-client flows, but not 100% sure.

One possible issue with different "acr" values for different
authentication flows is the fact, that with the step-up authentication
you may not want to repeat some authenticators, which were already
successful for this userSession.

For example you have flow1 with password-only and flow2 with
password+OTP.  When application is already authenticated with level1
(username+pasword), but now wants level2, you don't want to type
password again if you already authenticated through password before. So
authentication flow should ask just for OTP in this case. But
executionId of usernamePassword authenticator will be different in both
authentication flows.

However maybe this can be addressed with the "amr" claim, which can be
saved in IDToken (This is per OIDC specs
http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html#IDToken) and maybe
also userSession. It contains the String representations of used
authentication methods. Hopefully we can use this to track that
username+password authenticator was already used in this userSession in
different authentication flow and hence skip the usernamePassword
authenticator when moving from level1 to level2.

> BTW, different topic, one thing I'm worried about though is, are auth
> flows now dependent on cookies?  We may have to optionally allow query
> params to specify the auth session rather than a cookie.  For
> non-browser grants, we'll have logins spanning multiple requests
> (think SPNEGO/Kerberos) and they may not support cookies.
Yes, I see. Someone already asked on keycloak-user mailing list about
the alternative of using query parameter instead of the cookie. I think
it was similar usecase like Openshift. Authorization code OIDC flow was
needed in some non-browser authentication scenario.

Marek