[keycloak-dev] session caching questions

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 03:16:20 EDT 2018

On 31/05/18 23:06, Matt Domsch (mdomsch) wrote:
> In our deployments, we have need for the individual nodes in our standalone-ha cluster to be able to be stopped and restarted at any time, without loss of user sessions.  We deploy into AWS Elastic Beanstalk, and join the "new" nodes into the existing JGroups cluster of "old" nodes, switch CNAMEs, then shut down the "old" nodes.  The default suggested model of using <distributed-cache> for the session and clientSession caches fails in this scenario, as sessions stored only in memory on the "old" nodes are lost.  As such, we've switched to <replicated-cache> for most of the caches.  Does this make sense?  Are most people using Keycloak running >10 nodes per cluster such that replicated cache doesn't make sense for performance reasons?  If not, can the example standalone-ha.xml be adjusted to use replicated-cache?
You can keep the distributed-cache, but increase the count of owners to
2 or more instead of default 1. Maybe we can clarify this more clearly
in the docs... Replicated-cache is defacto just distributed cache with
owners == count-of-nodes-in-cluster . It is safe that data won't be ever
lost (unless you stop whole cluster), but memory consumption and
performance is not ideal.

> When items are placed into the caches, it seems that they are not put() with a lifetime or expiry time associated with them.  This has led us to run into out-of-memory issues as the sizes of these caches grows without bound.  We've added expiration times in the XML config to adjust for maximum lifetimes based on the longest session timeouts across all realms.  This seems not ideal. It would be better to put() including the current active session timeouts for the realm for the object from which it originates.
The configuration in the standalone.xml looks like this, so there should
be eviction enabled by default on the caches. By default it's like this:

                 <local-cache name="realms">
                     <eviction max-entries="10000" strategy="LRU"/>
                 </local-cache>
                 <local-cache name="users">
                     <eviction max-entries="10000" strategy="LRU"/>
                 </local-cache>

Did you change the default configuration and removed the eviction or
expiration by accident?

> We cannot evict items in the sessions and clientSessions caches as they are not persisted to disk. The Offline variants are persisted to disk, so evicting these seem OK.  Should this then be an invalidation-cache rather than a replicated-cache?
We have background thread in KEycloak, which automatically removes all
the expired userSessions and clientSessions. Expired depends on "Max
Session Lifespan" (10 hours by default) and "Max Idle Lifespan (30
minutes by default).

Marek