[keycloak-dev] JWS signatures using PS256 or ES256 algorithms for signing

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Thu Jun 28 10:13:06 EDT 2018

On 28/06/18 10:12, Stian Thorgersen wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 at 09:31, Marek Posolda <mposolda at redhat.com
> <mailto:mposolda at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     +1
>
>     Having the configuration in adapter (keycloak.json) won't scale
>     also because REST services (bearer-only clients) will need to
>     verify signatures by "frontend" clients, but each frontend client
>     can use different algorithm to sign it's token. So keycloak.json
>     of bearer-only clients would need to have some configuration map
>     to track all of this... Also "rotation" of algorithms will be
>     impossible (if administrator changes the algorithm for client in
>     admin console, the adapter configuration in keycloak.json will
>     need to be updated and hence application restarted...)
>
>     But I think we don't need to add any new endpoint, but just re-use
>     existing client registration endpoints for that? OIDC Client
>     registration has various metadata for clients like
>     id_token_signed_response_alg, id_token_encrypted_response_alg,
>     userinfo_signed_response_alg etc. See [1]. Also we have support
>     for Dynamic client registration management [2], so client
>     applications are able to "download" the client's metadata from the
>     endpoint.
>

> I wasn't thinking adding a new endpoint. We should use OIDC well-known
> endpoint. However, that doesn't include any attributes for the access
> token, only ID token. Which is of course due to the fact that the
> access token is opaque in OIDC. We could for instance add
> "access_token_signed_response_alg".
>
> Clients would by default check the OIDC well-known endpoint for what
> algorithm to use, but it should also be possible to override in
> keycloak.json as that OIDC well-known would say the realm default, but
> we want to be able to override the algorithm for individual clients.
IMO OIDC well-known endpoint is not good for that. It's not the endpoint
to be useful for retrieve metadata of specific client, rather it's
global for a realm. Even for ID token, there is not single signature
algorithm. There is just list of supported algorithms in
id_token_signing_alg_values_supported .

I wonder that for our adapters, we can just use the Client Registration
(Management) endpoint of our own representation - the endpoint of
DefaultClientRegistrationProvider.getDefault() . That's our own rep, so
we are fine to return the accessToken signature algorithm. We can ensure
that algorithm is always returned (We will return client specific
algorithm or fallback to realm default algorithm if client doesn't have
one set). We can invoke that endpoint with the bearer-token, which
adapter will always have - it can just use the token it wants to verify
signature for. Any reason why it won't work?

I wouldn't add anything to keycloak.json. IMO it would suck because:
- If algorithm is changed by admin in KC admin console, adapter will
need to be re-configured in keycloak.json and restarted (no automatic
algorithm "rotation" support)
- Configuration of algorithm will be duplicated on both adapter and server
- Bearer-only clients can be invoked with tokens of various "frontend"
clients signed by various different algorithms. So the configuration in
keycloak.json would be quite complicated here.

Marek