[keycloak-dev] Keycloak repository is too heavy

Sergey Ponomarev stokito at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 15:55:08 EDT 2018

Hello,

I wanted to make a small pull request into keycloak
<https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/> but it passed more than a our but I
still not even built the project.
First of all it was cloned about 4 minutes. No so much, but a long as for
me.
Then I started build process and it took a long time to download all
dependencies which exists on Maven Central. Meanwhile I opened Keycloak
project in Intellij and it started to index all files.
Finally at some point build failed with OOM  :(
I checked and found that Keycloak sources contains about 100Mb of built
examples and about 300 Mb of node_modules in themes folder.
So my proposition is: how about to split mono repository into few smaller?
As I see we can easily move examples and themes into separate repos under
keycloak organisation on Github.

This will decrease network load and simplify project initialization. But
we'll still be able to build examples and themes.

Sergey Ponomarev <http://www.linkedin.com/in/stokito>