[keycloak-dev] Event details JSON JPA length limit

Cory Snyder csnyder at iland.com
Thu May 10 12:06:07 EDT 2018

Hello,

We’re running Keycloak 1.9.8 and have been getting intermittent exception stack traces in the logs with the following cause: Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: value too long for type character varying(2550).

After tracing through the Keycloak source code, I believe that I’ve found the culprit to be the event details JSON field:

https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/blob/27d8afe4a75b2c0a8b48b32876a2495bc028401f/model/jpa/src/main/java/org/keycloak/events/jpa/EventEntity.java#L60 <https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/blob/27d8afe4a75b2c0a8b48b32876a2495bc028401f/model/jpa/src/main/java/org/keycloak/events/jpa/EventEntity.java#L60>

It seems that this could still be an issue with the latest master branch (or at least you still have the same character limit). Would you like me to create an issue in JIRA? I’m not sure if it would be acceptable to just increase the character limit of the field or remove the limit? If you have a specific idea for how this should be addressed, I’d be willing to contribute a PR.

Thanks,

Cory Snyder