[keycloak-dev] Resteasy 4.2

Ben Tatham bentatham at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 19:38:01 EDT 2019

Hi all,
I've submitted a jira ticket
<https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-11142> and PR
<https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/pull/6254>, but coming back here to
get others input.

We use keycloak-admin-client
<https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/tree/master/integration/admin-client> in
our code to talk to our keycloak instance. We also use Resteasy in our
application, and we have moved to 4.2.

As such, we can either share the keycloak-admin-client, or we can upgrade
the keycloak-admin-client to Resteasy 4.2.  Unfortunately, the client is
part of the whole keycloak project, which makes sense because it depends on
keycloak-core, etc. But it also means that upgrading just the client
library means upgrading all of keycloak.

In general, I think libraries should always try to stay update to date with
3rd party code (in this case, both happen to be jboss, but still...), or
better yet shade the 3rd party libraries themselves so downstream user
don't have "dependency hell".

My course of action, if my PRs don't get accepted (or even if they do, but
take a while to get released), are to either:
 a. make a shaded version of keycloak-admin-client in my own code.
 b. fork keycloak, releasing just the keycloak-admin-client and its
dependencies and deploy that to our own internal artifact manager.

Thoughts?  Any reason keycloak should not upgrade to the latest resteasy
versions?  (I'm not definitely not a resteasy expert...)

-Ben