[keycloak-dev] User TLS client certificate authentication - inconsistent DN string representation with LDAP

Sebastian Laskawiec slaskawi at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 10:11:23 EST 2019

Hey guys,

Answering a few email in a row below.

Thanks,
Sebastian

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 12:19 AM John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 1/8/19 5:02 PM, Nalyvayko, Peter wrote:
> > Hi,

> should ignore those extra spaces. May I kindly ask you to create a ticket
> for us and assign it either to me or Sebastien?
> >
> > Sebastian/Michael,
> >
> > According to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1779, BNF for distinguished
> name allows for optional space before and after the separator. Do you know
> of any reason why the DN returned by LDAP and the DN returned by  calling
> to X509Certificate.getSubjectDN().getName() should or expected be
> identical? It seems to me BNF allows for some discrepancies in
> representation thus comparing two strings verbatim may not be a good idea,
> no?

Let me try to reiterate the whole flow to make sure I understand everything
correctly:
- X509ClientCertificateAuthenticator extracts certificates from an incoming
HTTP request using one of the implementations
of X509ClientCertificateLookup.
- Obtained certificate chain is of a type X509Certificate[].
- Then we extract a User identity based on his certificate
(certs[0].getSubjectDN().getName()).
- Once we have a User identity in our hands, we can extract a UserModel,
our representation of a User in Keycloak. This user might be imported from
LDAP. Here's where those two pieces play together.
- If we find a user and he's valid, we end the flow.
So the root problem is that certificate obtained from the request doesn't
match the one from LDAP, even though they are maintained in a single place
(somehow, details omitted).

So, yes, this situation may happen since in the essence, we do just a DN
comparison by strings. The easiest workaround in my opinion is to normalize
those DNs across Keycloak codebase. The simplest solution is to
modify LDAPDn class as Michel suggested. I believe it should also work if
we modify a user certificate attribute and put spaces there (", ").

At first I though the fix should go X509ClientCertificateAuthenticator but
obviously, I was wrong. It's just a mismatch problem.

RFC 1779 (A String Representation of Distinguished Names) also mentions
different separators like for example ";", "," or ", " (comma with or
without a space). In order to support all this usecases, we'd probably need
to implement a custom DN comparator and modify our database queries that
extract users based on DN. At this point I'm not 100% convinced we need
this. Maybe we should just say in the docs that if you synchronize users
with LDAP, you should use ", " as a separator when specifying user
certificates?

@Michael, @Peter - WDYT about that? Would that solution solve your problem?

@Hynek, @Marek - maybe you guys have some thoughts around this?