[keycloak-dev] Javascript adapater tests

Stan Silvert ssilvert at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 11:18:11 EST 2019

On 1/16/2019 9:53 AM, Guillaume Vincent wrote:
> Hello Keycloak dev list,
>
> in a previous post I raised the problem that the JavaScript adapter did not
> have JavaScript tests.
>
> In a couple of hours I created a simple example for Keycloak with unit and
> functional tests https://github.com/guillaumevincent/keycloak-lite
>
> You can see tests in this file
> https://github.com/guillaumevincent/keycloak-lite/blob/master/test.js
>
> I also created a blog post on IMO How to test JavaScript code:
> https://guillaumevincent.com/2019/01/15/test-in-javascript.html
>
> Maybe we can open the discussion on how keycloak.js should be tested.
> Without any fast and automated tests, in JavaScript, the refactor of the
> keycloak adapter will not be easy at all.
>
> wdyt?
Several thoughts:

  * Basically, I agree.  It makes sense to test javascript with
    javascript.  I like where you are going with this.
  * An important point in any discussion of testing is that the only
    useful test is a test that uncovers a bug.  We never write tests
    just to say we have lots of tests.  Coverage is what matters.  I'm
    not criticizing your blog.  It's just something I like to keep in mind.
  * You mention TypeScript in your blog, but test.js appears to be
    written in plain javascript.  IMO, any javascript we write (with the
    possible exception of keycloak.js) should be written in TypeScript.
    Both internally and externally, developers are moving more and more
    to TypeScript.  Also, the Java developers on our team will be much
    more comfortable and confident with a strongly typed language that
    works well with an IDE.
  * We need to know a little more about the current test coverage of the
    javascript adapter.  Much of it is tested through indirect means.
  * We need to understand how javascript tests will integrate into our
    builds.
  * We need to standardize on a javascript test package.  I don't want
    the adapter to be tested with one library while the new account
    management console is tested with another.