[keycloak-dev] Authz services feedback

Dmitry Telegin dt at acutus.pro
Thu Jan 31 04:59:48 EST 2019

My 2¢: I've been recently tasked with creating a Spring Boot + Keycloak authz PoC. Somehow I've overlooked the existing app-authz-rest-springboot and did everything from scratch, which allowed me to discover many surprising bugs/features/snags (hope you'll help me to tell one from another).

1. It may sound crazy, but seems that with enforcer enabled there is no way to have public endpoints, i.e. those that are not protected by the  adapter security constraints. I've tried every possible combination of global and per-path enforcement-mode, tried creating the corresponding resource in Keycloak, but the enforcer would always deny access. The only scenario that worked was setting global enforcement-mode to DISABLED, which is obviously not an option.

I'm not sure if it's Spring Boot specific or not; I'm planning to test the same setup with other adapters too and report the result.

2. When configuring path-based resource, I have automatically put double quotes around the path like this:

keycloak.policy-enforcer-config.paths[0].path="/path"

Then I've killed some hours debugging the adapter trying to figure out why this wouldn't work, only to discover that the quotes are passed to the variables verbatim, i.e. including quotes. I think this is not something Keycloak specific, but maybe it could be worth mentioning in the docs, in order to help folks avoid frustrating experiences like mine.

3. {request.body[...]} pushed claim is totally broken. It drains out the servlet input stream before the control is passed to the underlying service, so when the service tries to process the request (which is, ehm, what services normally do) you will get something like "org.springframework.http.converter.HttpMessageNotReadableException: Required request body is missing". It's a well-known issue that servlet input streams are not rewindable, so I don't see any other solution than caching the whole request body in the memory and passing down a request wrapper.

As a cherry on top, it fails to recognize JSON request body, since it tries matching against "application/json" constant (RequestPlaceHolderResolver.java:125), and the browser would normally send something like "application/json; charset=UTF-8".

4. In JavaScript policies, $evaluation.context.identity.attributes has different meaning depending on whether the policy is used in authz or fine-grained permissions. In the first case it maps to the token claims, in the second to the custom attributes. Is this by design? It would be nice to have a unified API for both claims and attributes.

5. Let's say we need to implement a fine-grained permission for groups, which can be expressed as "a group admin is a user who 1) is a direct member of this group, 2) has a specific role, like group-admin". The first part can be implemented as a JS policy, but in order to obtain a GroupModel we'll need to parse resource name (which will be like "group.resource.e14f96e4-e06e-411f-bbdf-507e264dc33d"), extract group ID and finally call $evaluation.authorizationProvider.realm.getGroupById().

For authz resources used in fine-grained permissions, can we have a kind of link to the model object, or something like unwrap() method that would return the same?

Sorry for lengthy message, and again thanks a lot Pedro! Authorization services is a real power feature, and your contribution has been invaluable.

Kind regards,
Dmitry Telegin
CTO, Acutus s.r.o.