[keycloak-dev] Better support for "scope" in adapters

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 07:43:39 EST 2019

On 30/01/2019 14:40, Pedro Igor Silva wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 5:25 AM Marek Posolda <mposolda at redhat.com
> <mailto:mposolda at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 29/01/2019 19:49, Pedro Igor Silva wrote:
>>     I'm not sure if we need to consider that in our adapters.
>>
>>     Usually, the front-end knows the set of scopes that it needs to
>>     interact with the backend and stay functional.
>
>     Maybe. I am personally not sure how people expect to use "scope"
>     parameters in their frontend applications. Maybe 90% of frontend
>     clients don't need to use "scope" parameter at all. And from the
>     remaining, they will be fine with the current support of the
>     "scope" parameter.
>
> I would say so, mainly because I think people are still using RBAC to
> enforce access to APIs. Enterprise scenarios don't really use scopes
> as they are more related with delegation.

Yeah, maybe. Just a note that our client scopes support also allows to
limit roles in the token. For example you can define role scope mappings
of client scope "service1" to have role "service1.my-service1-role" . So
by requesting "scope=service1", you will also receive this role in the
token and hence can be used for RBAC based authorization.

But anyway, I probably won't create any JIRAs for now. Will wait if
there is some more feedback or some more requests for better support of
"scope" parameter in the adapters.

Thanks for the feedback Pedro!

Marek