[keycloak-dev] Versioning - Keycloak Operator

Jan Lieskovsky jlieskov at redhat.com
Wed Nov 6 03:07:03 EST 2019

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 8:02 PM Bruno Oliveira <bruno at abstractj.org> wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> During our stand-up meeting today we discussed the versioning of the
> new Keycloak Operator. In summary, if the versioning should follow the
> same scheme as semantic versioning, or follow our continuous delivery
> model[1].
>
> The "old" Operator is actually on 1.9.4 and the new version should be
> 2.0.0. But if we use our current versioning scheme, that means a
> significant bump, for example, 8.0.0.

+1 for version of the operator being aligned with the version of other
components
(server, adapters etc.), even if this will mean:

   - Operator version will need initially to get bumped substantially to
   match the Keycloak server version,
   - Operator would need to be released together with other components this
   way (IOW any, even possible urgent Operator fixes would need to wait for
   N+1 server release).

This makes more sense / is more consistent IMHO, than keeping the Operator
version as a separate one.
Besides that (as already mentioned) it removes the need in the future
(maybe often?) to clarify, which
Operator version matches which Keycloak server version.

Just my two cents.

Thank you && Regards, Jan
--
Jan iankko Lieskovsky / Keycloak / RH-SSO Team