[keycloak-dev] Extract Javascript Adapter into separate keycloak-js repository

Stan Silvert ssilvert at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 07:31:39 EST 2019

On 11/26/2019 5:03 AM, Armin Roșu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We were having a discussion about unit testing keycloak-js in this PR:
> https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/pull/5946 (closed).
>
> An easy way would be to extract it into a separate repository and write
> unit tests there.This would bring further benefits:
There are advantages and disadvantages to putting keycloak-js in a
separate repo.

The main advantage I see for having it in the same repo with Keycloak
server is that keycloak.js version is always synced with the Keycloak
server version.  For any client/server system there are always nasty
issues that crop up when client and server versions diverge.

> - keycloak.js can be refactored to Typescript
There are definite advantages in code quality when you use TypeScript.
This is both in the maintainability of the source code and the quality
of the generated keycloak.js file.  If we know there are dedicated
resources to develop the Typescript version and the associated test
suite then I'm all for it.  But that might be a big "if".